Looking for quick feedback

Hi all,

I enjoy posting up tips but only if I know i’m getting real eyes viewing. I have gotten mixed results in stats lately so I’d like anyone reading this to post a quick comment to know your not a bot šŸ™‚



Exchange 2010 Decommision tip post 2013 migration

(Note I will try to start posting again and address the Ultrafin issues. I have been doing a lot of studying as of late. I got my VCP5-DCV and am working on an MCSA 2012 upgrade. I am also working on an Exchange 2013 DAG. I hope I can post some tips once I iron out all the bugs).

Here is a simple but somewhat silly tip when you think about it.

In trying to decomission an Exchange 2010 server, I found I still had what seem to be system (arbitration) mailboxes in one of the mail stores.

I was in Exchange powershell on the 2010 server and was trying to move them to a 2013 mail store. I got an error with this message:

Unsupported target database version. The New-MoveRequest cmdlet can only move mailboxes to databases mounted on servers running one of the following versions of Exchange: Exchange 2010, Exchange 2007 (SP2 and later), Exchange 2003 (SP2 and later).

The fix is actually really simple. Run the same command from Exchange powershell on the 2013 servers.

Here is how to move all your mailboxes in one line:
get-mailbox -databaseĀ 2010_db_nameĀ -arbitration | new-moverequest -TargetDatabase 2013_db_name

This will show you how the move is going:


Exchange 2013 – Anonymous relay requires one more step

Here is something I have gotten bit by and would like to save others from the same problem.

I recently migrated from Exchange 2010 SP3 to Exchange 2013.

I went through settings on the old system including Receive Connectors. We always had one called Anonymous Relay for copiers that do scan to email. We also have some standalone systems that need to relay.

It turns out that just setting a receive connector in the Admin center in 2013 isn’t enough.

You also need to issue a command in the CLI. (In 2010, based on technet, the CLI method is an alternative.) In 2013, the CLI is a compliment to the other part. By checking the Anonymous box in the admin center, some permissions are added but not all of them.

Here is the command to use in the CLI and note, if you only have one server, you may not need to specify:

Get-ReceiveConnector ā€œServername\Receive Connector Nameā€ | Add-ADPermission -User ā€œNT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGONā€ -ExtendedRights ā€œMs-Exch-SMTP-Accept-Any-Recipientā€

Hope this saves someone a lot of grief and headaches.

Blackberry activation fails with Too many devices are connected to this account

I recently ran into this error when trying to put someone on a new blackberry (Q10/Z10)

Too many devices are connected to this account

I read a lot of information online but I didn’t find any forums with a fix. Another tech in our group finally found the solution.

You need to get the user to login to OWA and go into Options, Phone.

In here you will find all devices they have listed in their account. The default limit is 10 devices in Exchange. Ā Going into OWA this way will let you clean that up.Ā This won’t apply to most users unless they swap devices often for testing.

How to export email addresses of distribution list members in powershell

This is a quick one-liner I had to figure out to respond to a request to have the actual email addresses of all members in a distribution list. To complicate it further, I always use nested groups.
I wasn’t having much luck doing it via exchange powershell but I did find a way to run it in powershell on one of our DC’s.
The first step is to load ActiveDirectory in your powershell session
Import-Module ActiveDirectory
this line will get members of group_name and recursively go through any other groups that are members. It will then output only the user email. You can always add more fields to select-object if needed.
get-adgroupmember group_nameĀ -recursive | get-aduser -properties mail | select-object mail

Solutions found through research, scripting and hard work.