Category Archives: Microsoft Windows

Items which apply to all flavors of windows and parent to sub category.

Exchange 2010 Decommision tip post 2013 migration

(Note I will try to start posting again and address the Ultrafin issues. I have been doing a lot of studying as of late. I got my VCP5-DCV and am working on an MCSA 2012 upgrade. I am also working on an Exchange 2013 DAG. I hope I can post some tips once I iron out all the bugs).

Here is a simple but somewhat silly tip when you think about it.

In trying to decomission an Exchange 2010 server, I found I still had what seem to be system (arbitration) mailboxes in one of the mail stores.

I was in Exchange powershell on the 2010 server and was trying to move them to a 2013 mail store. I got an error with this message:

Unsupported target database version. The New-MoveRequest cmdlet can only move mailboxes to databases mounted on servers running one of the following versions of Exchange: Exchange 2010, Exchange 2007 (SP2 and later), Exchange 2003 (SP2 and later).

The fix is actually really simple. Run the same command from Exchange powershell on the 2013 servers.

Here is how to move all your mailboxes in one line:
get-mailbox -database 2010_db_name -arbitration | new-moverequest -TargetDatabase 2013_db_name

This will show you how the move is going:
Get-MoveRequest

 

Exchange 2013 – Anonymous relay requires one more step

Here is something I have gotten bit by and would like to save others from the same problem.

I recently migrated from Exchange 2010 SP3 to Exchange 2013.

I went through settings on the old system including Receive Connectors. We always had one called Anonymous Relay for copiers that do scan to email. We also have some standalone systems that need to relay.

It turns out that just setting a receive connector in the Admin center in 2013 isn’t enough.

You also need to issue a command in the CLI. (In 2010, based on technet, the CLI method is an alternative.) In 2013, the CLI is a compliment to the other part. By checking the Anonymous box in the admin center, some permissions are added but not all of them.

Here is the command to use in the CLI and note, if you only have one server, you may not need to specify:

Get-ReceiveConnector “Servername\Receive Connector Name” | Add-ADPermission -User “NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON” -ExtendedRights “Ms-Exch-SMTP-Accept-Any-Recipient”

Hope this saves someone a lot of grief and headaches.

Blackberry activation fails with Too many devices are connected to this account

I recently ran into this error when trying to put someone on a new blackberry (Q10/Z10)

Too many devices are connected to this account

I read a lot of information online but I didn’t find any forums with a fix. Another tech in our group finally found the solution.

You need to get the user to login to OWA and go into Options, Phone.

In here you will find all devices they have listed in their account. The default limit is 10 devices in Exchange.  Going into OWA this way will let you clean that up. This won’t apply to most users unless they swap devices often for testing.

How to export email addresses of distribution list members in powershell

This is a quick one-liner I had to figure out to respond to a request to have the actual email addresses of all members in a distribution list. To complicate it further, I always use nested groups.
I wasn’t having much luck doing it via exchange powershell but I did find a way to run it in powershell on one of our DC’s.
The first step is to load ActiveDirectory in your powershell session
Import-Module ActiveDirectory
this line will get members of group_name and recursively go through any other groups that are members. It will then output only the user email. You can always add more fields to select-object if needed.
get-adgroupmember group_name -recursive | get-aduser -properties mail | select-object mail
Output:
mail
——-

How to copy only security information with Robocopy

This one is more of a quick note.

I had copied files from an old file server to a new one and thought the permissions moved over fine. For some reason, ownership and permissions didn’t match.

I needed a straightforward way to fix the permissions due to the volume of data I was dealing with. This did the trick for me:

robocopy <source> <destination> /secfix /copy:atsou /e /xx /xd Dfsrprivate 

/secfix fixes file security info but needs details on what to correct

/copy:atsou says to grab all information except for Data (it would be DATSOU in that case.) My memory trick for the /copy: switch is if someone says Atsou.. you say bless you. You only pass information with them and don’t want their content 😉

/e is subdirectories, even empty ones

/xx will ignore new files or folders in case changes were made since

/xd Dfsrprivate  (Folder to avoid.  You can skip this if you don’t use DFS replication)