Category Archives: Symantec Backup Exec

Problems I have faced using Backup Exec and the solutions that got me through.

Removing duplicate media server from Backup Exec 2010 R3 (Not for the faint of heart!)

(Warning! This is certainly not for the faint of heart and I’m pretty sure it’s not supported. Use at your own risk. I am not responsible for any damage caused.)

I recently renamed my existing backup server to a new name as I was replacing it with a stronger one. The big mistake I made was I didn’t shutdown the backup exec services and disable them first.

For whatever reason, I wasn’t able to export the information and was forced to copy the program files folder. Backup Exec changed the name for the media server to the new name. I didn’t notice this until I brought the it all over to the new system and discovered I now had two listed media devices; one with the proper server name and one with the old server renamed.

After reading that 2010 fixes this after a few service restarts I saw that it wasn’t helping.

I resorted to going into the SQL server part of it directly.

AGAIN, not for the faint of heart!

I shut down all bkexec services (and I could as no backup jobs were running.. hint hint). I stopped the SQL service long enough to copy the folder under program files. Restart the SQL service. Leave it running and note the name in brackets. ie BKUPEXEC. I didn’t have the MS SQL Server Management Studio installed locally. I have the app installed on another server and was able to run it from there.

For server name, you have to specify the namesql service info in brackets ie BACKUPSRVBkupexec

I left it as Windows Authentication as both machines were on the same domain. On the connection properties, set Connect to database to BEDB and click Connect.

Expand Databases -> BEDB -> Tables

We need these 3 tables: dbo.Device dbo.MachineDevice dbo.BackpToDiskFolder (if you use these)

Check dbo.Device and look for the name of your duplicate media device. Note the deviceID. ie 1000

(Before removing any rows, select the row, right click and copy, then paste into to notepad as a way to know what you had in case.)

If you use BackupToDisk folders, remove any rows with that deviceID.

After check dbo.MachineDevice and remove any entries with your deviceID (Again I copied the row into to notepad)

Finally do the same with dbo.Device and remove the duplicate. (Copy info to notepad).

(The notepad part if needed, would be a manual re-entry. Worse case, the copied program files folder could also save you. You would just need to stop all services including SQL)

The reason I do it in this order is that you will get errors if you start with the first as you would break references to the tables that follow.

Restart all your bkexec services and start Backup exec app. Your duplicate device should now be gone. Test carefully to make sure it all works before your backup window.

Symantec Backup Exec B2D Folder Low Disk Space Fix

I ran into this issue and after scratching my head as the folder had plenty of space, I found a solution online.

Within Backup Exec, set the folder to Disabled, Then Paused. Unpause it and Re-Enable.

The interface may seem unresponsive at first as its going through its own processes.

Visal confirmation for me was that my list of files through my B2D folder wasn’t complete and after this was back to normal.

Here is the source of the original fix:

Use powershell to create a list of disabled only AD users in a group

** Here is a nice way to produce a list of users in a specific group who are disabled. In my case I want to clean up files and a list of names is a good starting point.

In powershell, you first need to run this command for this to work Import-Module activedirectory

Also, if your group in question has subgroups, you can add -recursive to the get-adgroupmember part

(get-adgroupmember -identity Sales_Users | get-aduser | where {$_.enabled -like “False” } | select-object samaccountname | Out-String).trim()

I use the ().trim() to remove extra characters on the names outputed. I normally put this to a file and the spaces cause issues matching the information with other commands.

Insufficient disk space when trying to restore a mailbox with Backup Exec 2010

Error message 0xe000848f

The problem is with Backup Exec 2010 and it’s default settings. It will try to stage a mailbox by default to C:Temp before it restores to the exchange server. If the mailbox you are trying to restore is bigger than the free space on your C: drive, you will need to click Advanced in the restore job setup and specify another location with sufficient space.